Tonight’s dinner was Slowcooker Taco soup, served with homemade tortilla chips.
This recipe is not only simple but delicious, the ingredients are also very inexpensive! This pot of soup will serve 8 people or a family of 4 twice [the left overs always get eaten!] You can top this soup with cheese, sour cream or both.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned over medium heat. Drain, and set aside.
- Place the ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Mix to blend, and cook on Low setting for 8 hours.
The tortilla chips are very easy to make I already had from having tacos last week, just cut them into the shape of chips, I use a pizza cutter to cut several at one time, then pan fry them in oil (of your choice, I had canola laying around) on high heat for 30-40 seconds per side depending on how crunchy you want the chips.
I made a video of the chip making you can watch that here : http://youtu.be/Z8RvXDLsoAM.
My family loves this dinner 5/5 stars tonight! Perfect for a winter day!